Thursday, January 14, 2016

On the Farm (part 2)

In the last post of On the Farm , I discussed my trip to Northwest Oklahoma and my wife's parents farm properties. The image above was taken from the Whorton place as I was more interested in this property since it was converted to the Conservation Reserve Program years ago.

As you can see the hay bales in the upper left the land has been use as a hay field. It was taken out of the of the CRP program a few years ago. Many Tallgrass species are still present from the original seeding while some more invasive volunteer species have spread into the field from nearby properties such as the Weeping Lovegrass -Eragrostis curvula pictured above. 
This image was taken from the low lying area towards the higher plain. In the lower area where moisture settles from rainfall is present, Weeping Lovegrass, Sorghastrum nutans-Indian Grass, and a lesser amount of Andropogon geradii-Big Bluestem. The higher ground pictured above has more of a rusty brown hue consists mainly of Schizachyrium scoparium-Little Bluestem.

My original intention to visit this hay meadow was to transplant some grasses and possibly forbs to my own prairie garden in Kansas. The images below represent my selections.

Eragrostis curvula- Weeping Lovegrass, and the native lovegrass Eragrostis trichodes-Sand Lovegrass.


8 comments:

  1. I hope you are successful with your transplants. What a treat to visit a farm with such lovely prairie grasses. Wish I could get my septic field to look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great source for your garden's grasses. Sounds like it was a productive trip, and a treat to see those expansive landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pic's. They bring back many good memories. I've traveled many times through Kansas and Oklahoma to visit family, and the pic's bring back those memories - especially the windmill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is pretty there. It is wonderful you can bring a little bit of that to Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful- love the windmill!!! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating to see what grasses make up a prarie, and little bluestem which I had in my garden for quit a long time. Your blog posts are infrequent but of the highest quality. I smile as I go by...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving any comments, they are always welcomed. Sorry I had to add word verification as spam was becoming a huge problem. Greggo,